School Purpose and DirectionSt. Paul School is committed to providing every student the tools necessary to be globally competitive in the 21st century with emphasis on positive attitude toward people and learning, respect for self and others, and tolerance and acceptance of differences. We also encourage enthusiasm for learning, commitment to education, emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving, while providing access to innovative technology.
St. Paul school provides each student the opportunity to develop intellectually, emotionally, physically, and socially in a safe and orderly environment, preparing them for the 21st Century. Our school is committed to educating all students to be productive workers, responsible citizens, and life-long learners, enabling them to be globally competitive and prepare for life in the 21st century.
As a division leader in digital technology in classroom instruction, SPS has made great strides in transforming our classrooms into 21st Century learning environments. Emphasis is being placed on critical thinking and problem solving, communication and collaboration, and creativity and innovation. These skills are keys to unlocking a lifetime of learning and creative work. We want out students to have what it takes to become a self-reliant lifelong learner.
Our technology plan supports our need to increase student's information literacy skills and be able to use technology as a tool to research, organize, evaluate and communicate information. Providing students easy access to the Internet in the classrooms and the ability to use handheld devices is an important part of instruction today. We encourage teachers to implement inquiry and collaborative learning projects as well as participate in the division's professional development opportunities that can enhance their use of digital technologies and their technology skills.
School HistorySt. Paul School was named by a Dutchman, Jake Wiseler, who founded the school while serving as minister of the St. Paul Church of the Brethren. Both the school and the church were named out of fondness for the St. Paul Church of the Brethren in Pennsylvania where Reverend Wiseler had worshipped before coming to this area.
The first school building was a log cabin. Later, students were transferred to a dwelling that was simultaneously used as the Cana Post Office. A third school building was constructed but was destroyed by fire about seven years after it was built. Following the burnout, classes were held in Alfred Towe’s home until a house, provided by LumJones, was made ready. The Jones’ house was used until the fall of 1921.
An acre of land on which a “real” schoolhouse was erected was donated to the Carroll County School Board in 1921 by F. Huston Towe. J. Fulton Towe was the first teacher in the new building.Area schools at Brushy Fork, Flint Hill, Lovills Creek, Oak Grove, Sandy Ridge, and St. Paul were consolidated in 1951 to form St. Paul Elementary School. Nile Smythers of Woodlawn was the first principal, and the total school enrollment for grades one through seven was 352.
In 1957 the eighth grade was added to St. Paul, and the enrollment increased to 407. By the beginning of the 1962-63 school session, ninth grade students were enrolled at St. Paul. During the late 1960’s, a vocational department for home economics and agriculture was added to the curriculum. Because of limited facilities, students were bused to these classes in rented buildings on U. S. Highway 52.
Construction began on a million-dollar addition and remodeling project in December, 1971. Included in this project were modern gymnasium-auditorium, a science laboratory, an expanded library, a cafeteria and kitchen area, a music suite, a home economics suite, an art department, a vocational agriculture shop and classroom, an administrative suite, as well as additional classrooms. With the present facilities, the school offers a comprehensive program which provides a variety of learning experiences for all St. Paul students.